Our Class 3 teachers are Mrs Brocklesby and Mrs Sellers with Mrs Ford as our teaching assistant. Our class and school motto is to "Strive to Shine".
This class page is designed to give readers a brief overview of what we are covering in class. We share more detailed information about what we get up to using the Class Dojo app. Parents can request login details via their child's class teacher.
Autumn 2 2023
This term, our topic is called, 'Improve our word. The problem with plastic.'
We are learning all about why plastic is useful and popular, the problems that plastics cause in the environment and what we and others can do to help to reduce the use of plastic.
As well as learning about helping the environment, this term has a writing focus. We will take inspiration from books such as Flotsam by David Weisner and A planet Full of Plastic by Neal Layton to inspire story telling and descriptive writing.
Autumn 1 2023
This term, our topic is called, 'Who makes the rules? The monarchy.'
We are learning all about monarchs, their role in parliament and the ways in which some monarchs have shaped British history. We will choose one monarch to be come a case study. We will research this monarch further and develop character descriptions based on what we find out.
Summer 2 2023
This term, our topic is called Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds.
We are learning all about what it takes to lead a healthy lifestyle and why it is important. It's an exciting term with lots of things coming up.
Here is a taster of some of the things that we will learn and experience:
- We will become journalists in English.
- We will become chefs in D&T.
- We will learn all about mental health, physical health and nutrition.
- We will get active and take part in lots of fun activities: skipping, golf, the junior gym, athletics, climbing, dancing and wheelchair basket ball!
- We will also have weekly lessons with our sport's coach from Change 4 Life where we will learn more about keeping fit and eating healthily.
Summer 1 2023
This term our topic is called Mega Cities vs Quiet Villages.
We will be learning all about the differences between villages, towns, cities and Mega cities; going for a walk around our local area and virtual walks around cities and Mega cities. We will also be learning about nets and folding in D&T, where we will build up to making our own paper city.
In English, we will learn about poetry and write shape poems all about cities. We will also present these using Book Creator on the Ipads and they will form a background to our paper city.
Spring 2 2023
This term our topic is called Romans and Volcanoes.
It's a mixture of history and geography, following on nicely from last term's topic, 'The Ancient Romans'.
We will be learning about the following:
- Why the Romans left Britain and the legacy that they left behind.
- The world's most famous volcanoes.
- How a volcano is formed.
- What happens to the lives of people who live near volcanoes.
- The story of Pompeii and how we know about events from the past.
- Designing, making and evaluating clay pots.
Spring 1 2023
This term we will be learning all about the Ancient Romans and the invasions of Britain.
We will learn about:
- Life in Ancient Rome.
- Ancient Roman emperors.
- Roman baths.
- Life in the Roman army.
- The Roman empire.
- Why the Romans invaded Britain and what happened.
Autumn 2 2022:
This half term we are learning all about life in the Stone Ages through to the Iron Age. We will be completing this time travelling topic in chronological order - exploring how discoveries and inventions changed the way early humans lived.
We will learn:
- When each of the periods of the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age was.
- About the three eras the Stone Age was split in to.
- The sorts of weapons what were used in each time period (and what they were made of).
- The types of homes people had.
- About how these time periods fit alongside other known time periods.
Autumn 1 2022
This term we are completing a whole school topic called - Know your Place. This will involve each class studying an area or aspect of the area around school. We will build on the work from Class 1 and 2 (about Scarcliffe and Bolsover) and will broaden our focus to Chesterfield. I am sure you have all been shopping and had meals in Chesterfield, but I am sure we can teach you a few things you didn't already know.
In this topic, we will be learning:
- Where Chesterfield is in the World and is proximity to other known areas.
- Ordnance Survey symbols and how we can use these to locate places in Chesterfield.
- Some of the key physical and human features of Chesterfield.
- The history of Chesterfield Canal.
- The life of George Stevenson and his impact on Chesterfield.
- How we can improve our local areas - including an art unit.
Below is a knowledge organiser about this topic. It shows the important information we expect you to learn and remember about the topic.
Summer 2 2022
This term, our topic is all about Africa. We will be learning about the geography and culture of Africa, significant people and more. There are lots of exciting events planned for this term too from a trip to the Derby Open centre, to an African drumming workshop and numerous sporting opportunities which are coming up.
Here is our knowledge organiser for this topic.
Spring 2 and Summer 1 2022
In both terms, our topic is Latin America. In Spring 2, we learn all about South America, it's geography, key features and about the culture in Brazil. In Summer term 1, we move onto learning about the geography of Central America with a particular focus on learning about the Mayans.
As part of our learning, we will work towards presenting our very own travel show where we will use persuasive techniques, presentation and computing skills to advertise a journey around Latin America.
Summer 1 is also a busy term in terms of sport as the year 5's continue with swimming and visits to Pleasley Vale, all of class 3 taking part in weekly Eatwell Playwell sessions, and all juniors attending a residential at Whitehall.
Spring 1 2022
This term, we are learning all about the Ancient Egyptians.
We will learn about the first civilisations, when and where they were; about the culture of Ancient Egyptian life; write instruction texts to explain how the Ancient Egyptians mummified their dead; find out about the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb and write diary entries to describe the feelings involved when making such a discovery.
Some of our other learning will involve: continuing learning to play the ukulele; designing and making bird feeders from recycled materials; dance; and states of matter in science.
QEII Research Sites
http://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button - For practising your number bonds and times tables.
https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ - For your learning of phonics and spelling.
https://www.purplemash.com/sch/scarcliffe - For your homework and other learning opportunities.
http://www.ttrockstars.com/ - For your times tables!
https://community.mathletics.com/signin/#/student - Sign in to complete homework and play against people around the world!