Autumn 1 2020
This term we will spend some time settling back in to life at school. Our new whole school topic is based on the local area, so we are going to be learning about mining. Many of the villages around our school were mining communities and many people in your families might have worked in those mines.
We will be learning:
- To use map work skills to identify where coal seams are, as well as using 6 figure grid references.
- About a timeline related to mining and coal use.
- About why coal was important.
- What life was like in mines.
- About the mining strikes and pit disasters.
- To consider the future of coal and renewable energy sources.
- About the work of the Pitmen Painters.
Below is a knowledge organiser showing the key knowledge you will know by the end of the topic.
Here is a knowledge organiser to use throughout your learning from this term.
Before the holidays
Our topic was...
We will be:
- Investigating what London is like and making comparisons to Scarcliffe.
- Finding out about things to see and do in London.
- Looking at ways to travel around London.
- Planning a journey from school to 2 different attractions in London and back to school.
- Inventing and creating advertising/marketing for a new open top bus tour of London.
This term will also involve the final push before the SATs (tests) take place for Y6 children during the week beginning 13th May and the residential trip to London for some of the class.
Needed for a Science lesson this term.
https://quizlet.com/latest - For recapping ALL of your spellings and SPaG terminology.
https://quizizz.com/join - For the spelling quizzes set by Mr Horton.
Practice your S P A G!
General sentence structure: http://www.topmarks.co.uk/Flash.aspx?e=spelling-grammar03
Punctuate the sentences with Comma Chameleon
Master your maths!
Hit the button x tables
Fraction matcher (tablet friendly)
Decimal jeopardy (add, subtract and multiply decimals).
Latest Newsround stories
- Changing Faces calls for the way villains look in movies to change
Charity Changing Faces calls for the way villains look in films to change.
- World Cup: Which Belgium player should England be worried about?
England play their final group match against Belgium, but which star player should England be worrie…
- Smoking: Should it be banned at the school gates?
A group of school children have had enough of adults smoking near school gates, so they decided to d…
- Can you guess which singer this is?
Here's a clue - she's pretty famous!
- Sir David Attenborough: 'I'm astonished' by Blue Planet plastic impact
The wildlife expert says he's been wowed by how much people are doing to tackle plastic in the ocean…